Today in court, cross-examination of Anthony Rollins, the former Anchorage Police Department officer accused of serial rape while on the job, concluded. Rollins continued to claim that any sexual contact he had with alleged victims was consensual in nature. Rther than a rapist, he claimed he was an adulterer who had violated his marital oath:
I made some bad choices, I’m sorry I sinned against my god and against my family, and I’m, I’m sorry. I let a lot of people down.
As KTVA Channel 11 summarized its story on the day’s proceedings (video at the bottom of this post),
As a married man and former Anchorage police officer, Anthony Rollins took two oaths both of which he admits on the stand to violating.
Those oaths were his marital oath and his oath as an Anchorage police officer. Rollins took a third oath on the witness stand to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. By denying that he sexually assaulted his accusers, did he violate a third oath as well? That’s the implication Deputy District Attorney Sharon Marshall left us with as she concluded cross-examination.
Rollins testimony was followed by the state calling back to the stand an APD officer who clarified on proper police procedure on how DUI’s are booked & processed, the proper use of APSIN (Alaska Public Safety Information Network) record checks, etc.
Judge Volland then told the jury he needed to meet with counsel (both defense & prosecution) on jury instructions. Final arguments will be heard on Monday, 14 February. 14 jurors have sat through the trial; 2 will be dismissed and deliberations will begin with 12 jurors on Monday after final arguments.
- Anthony Rollins trial, day 11: @GraceJangKTVA and @photogfank in court livetweeting. Rollins cross-examination to continued. #fb #
- Rollins trial: People livetweeting trial can be followed here: http://twitter.com/#!/list/yksin/rollins — so fa todayr just KTVA folks. #fb #
- @KTVA – you do know don’t you that any attempt to visit your website right now results in “Server not found”? #
- @KTVA DNS servers seem to be wrongly pointing requests for ktva.com instead to http://search.kvta.com/ (note transposed letters). #
- Rollins trial via @GraceJangKTVA: Judge to work w counsels on jury instructions, closing arguments on Monday. #fb #
- Rollins trial via @GraceJangKTVA: Jury will begin deliberations Monday afternoon. #fb #
- Thanks again to @GraceJangKTVA and @photogfank, both of @KTVA Channel 11, for keeping the twitterverse informed in Rollins trial. #fb #
- RT: @adndotcom: Ex-cop Rollins continues to deny sex assaults but admits he ‘sinned’ on the job. http://bit.ly/ifoa1C // [shaking head] #fb #
Media accounts of today’s testimony
- 11 Feb 2011. “Rollins sorry for ‘bad choices’ but maintains his innocence — SEXUAL ASSAULT TRIAL: He sticks to denials under cross-examination” by Casey Grove (Anchorage Daily News).
- 11 Feb 2011. “Rollins Trial Day 11: Final Day of Testimonies” by Grace Jang (KTVA Channel 11 News).