Once again the trial of Anthony Rollins — the former Anchorage Police Department cop accused of serial rape — was livetweeted by Grace Jang and photographer Ken Fankhauser of KTVA Channel 11 News. Once again, I didn’t do much retweeting, so see their Twitter feeds for complete coverage.
Tweets from the courtroom indicated that the courtroom got pretty crowded today as the day the state called its last witness & rested its case, and the defense began calling its own witnesses. Spectators apparently hoped that Rollins himself would testify today; but the defense announced that while he would be testifying tomorrow instead. But the court heard from three witnesses called by the defense, by my count. Two were Anchorage police officers who had worked with Rollins — and who didn’t seem to do much for the defense other than to establish that in fact there are other APD officers who know Rollins — and a corrections officer from the Anchorage jail who gave testimony about the behavior of so-called “Victim 1” when she was brought to the jail on DUI charges.
Expect a crowded courtroom tomorrow for people eager to hear what Rollins has to say for himself on the witness stand.
See my post from February 2 for Why I’m following the trial of alleged serial rapist Anthony Rollins.
- Anthony Rollins trial Day 8: ex-APD officer accused of serial rape while on-duty. @GraceJangKTVA livetweeting. State calls last witness. #fb #
- Rollins trial: @photogfank joins @GraceJangKTVA livetweeting as state calls last witness. (Then defense takes up its case.) #fb #
- Anthony Rollins trial: defense says Rollins will testify but not today. Defense starting case. @GraceJangKTVA & @photogfank livetweet #fb #
- Rollins trial: RT: @photogfank: Defense and state lawyers APD and victims families fill the courtroom today. #
- Anthony Rollins trial done for today. Rollins on stand tomorrow. Thank you @GraceJangKTVA & @photogfank for tweeting trial. #fb #
Media accounts of today’s testimony
- 8 Feb 2011. “Defense begins for officer accused in sexual assaults — ROLLINS: Former policeman expected to testify; charges brought in six different cases” by Casey Grove (Anchorage Daily News).
- 8 Feb 2011. “Rollins Day 9: Defense Asks Judge to Acquit Rollins of Four Assault Charges” (KTVA Channel 11 News).
- 8 Feb 2011. “Detective Says Rollins Showed Pattern of Behavior with Women” by Lori Tipton (KTUU Channel 2 News).